This fall calls for our favorite pumpkin treats, and lattes which also means a higher intake of sugar than usual, which can lead to uh-oh skin inflammation, redness, and puffiness. Sugar has direct links to skin inflammation and intense acne issues, and the holidays just love to help us increase our intake. This is why we recommend everyone, especially our autumn treat lovers, to take extra care of their skin and stay healthy this upcoming fall.
What are Ice Rollers?
One of our favorite new fall trends includes Ice Rollers! What are those? What do Ice Rollers do for your face? You asked, and we answered. Ice Rollers, similar to jade rollers, but meant to be kept in your favorite skincare fridge or freezer, is a cooling device that helps with lymphatic drainage, preventing inflammation, reducing redness and puffiness, and shrinking pores. And what makes them so great is that they can be used by people of all skin types. Also, you can use ice rollers for your face and body!
What are the benefits of Ice Rollers for your face?
If you’re the type to wake up with incredibly puffy skin, redness, or just dull looking skin, Ice Rollers help to mitigate all of the above. Ice Roller’s also help to shrink the size of your pores, making skin appear more even, reducing the risk of clogged pores.
Since ice rollers are kept in the fridge or freezer, their cool temperature provides additional benefits for your skin. In fact, they are very similar to ice packs -- they reduce inflammation, redness, swelling, and irritation. Additionally, ice rollers have a smooth texture that is designed to massage your face. This brings blood to the surface of your skin to promote circulation. They also help drain fluid to reduce puffiness and decrease the production of excess oils.
When should I use my Ice Roller?
Truly, whenever you like. It can be in the morning, evening, afternoon, or in bed. Just make sure to use it at the end of your skincare routine, after a thorough cleanse. We wouldn’t recommend using this with your skincare products, since the “ice” or cold effect won’t be as effective with a moisturizer or face wash. So make sure that your skincare products are fully absorbed into your skin before using your ice roller. Our favorite time is usually in the mornings - read further for SelfCareKey's fall morning routine.
How to Use Ice Rollers for Your Face?Here are the steps to using an ice roller plus some quick tips from SelfCareKey:
- You’ll want to make sure that your ice roller is in the fridge or freezer for a couple hours before you use it. This will provide the most benefits for your skin!
- Go through your normal skincare routine. Wash your face thoroughly and apply any of your serums or moisturizers.
- Wait until your skincare products are fully absorbed into your skin.
- Take your ice roller out of the fridge or freezer and let it sit for a few minutes. You don’t want your ice roller to be so cold that it harms your skin.
- Roll your ice roller over your face. We recommend using upward strokes starting from your forehead and working your way down to your cheeks and jawline. You could even roll on your neck and chest if you wanted to! There are certain ice rollers made specifically for your body, so make sure to check those out if you’re interested in using an ice roller on your body.
- Once you’ve finished rolling, rinse your ice roller with soap and water and place it back in the fridge or freezer. It’s important to take good care of your ice roller so that you don’t have to replace it often.
- After rolling, your skin will instantly experience the benefits including smaller pores and lymphatic drainage. Enjoy your relaxed and rejuvenated skin!
Ice Rollers v. Jade Rollers
Wait, can’t I just put my jade roller in the fridge and use it as an ice roller too? Yes, and no. We won’t go into much detail here as Desi at Teacups and Tulips pretty much sums it up, but the main difference to note is that Jade Rollers are meant to aid better absorption of skincare serums and improving skin elasticity, while Ice Rollers help to calm inflammation and tighten skin. Check out our ice roller here.
SelfCareKey's Fall Morning Routine
Ice Roller’s can be used pretty much any time of day, but I like to treat myself early in the mornings. This especially helps wake me up and get my day started. I have a friend who likes to take freezing cold showers in the morning, but unfortunately I’m a wimp, so I like to feel the comfort of a warm shower, do my skincare routine, and head to the kitchen for my favorite fall drink - a caffeine-free, skin-friendly Cinnamon Vanilla tea latte. As I make my latte, I usually like to take out my Ice Rollers and spend about 2 minutes just treating my skin to a winter wonderland. After a quick rinse, I put it back into my skincare fridge and enjoy my hot beverage. This helps me feel incredibly awake, my skin feels tighter and less puffy, no caffeine needed.